Friday, December 19, 2008

Can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man!

I have some friends and family who I've been begging to join facebook. But they resist for good reasons. Their fear is that they will be found by people whom they don't want to find them. The good news is that facebook has privacy features that allow you to stay as hidden as you like. Here's how to make yourself unfindable on facebook. My hope is that after reading this, my friends & family will join facebook so that we can keep up with each other. Anyway, here's what ya do:
  1. Sign up for a facebook account. Provide the bare minimum information necessary about yourself when you sign up. You can provide more information after you've finished reading this post.
  2. Login to facebook. On the top to the right, there will be a "Settings" menu. Click on it and choose "Privacy Settings"
    -
  3. On the page that comes up, click "Search""
  4. To be completely unfindable, set it like this (If you're having trouble reading what it says, click on the image to make it bigger):
  5. Here are the other options that you have for how findable you are. This is how mine is set up
To my friends & family who are afraid of being found on facebook... does this help at all? I have another post on the subject of facebook privacy, that might also interest you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of friends from facebook starting to read my blog. I'm glad of that. I look forward to comments, critiques, etc. But please do not reference me or any of my family and friends by name. Here's why.