Saturday, December 06, 2008

A.C.T.S.

A friend of mine recently asked me to pray for something going on in his life. So I stopped what I was doing and dashed off a quick prayer in support of my friend. But in the middle of it, I thought, "Well that's rude. You just jumped straight into asking for what it was you wanted. Try again."

My pastor frequently uses A.C.T.S. as a way to help a person organize their prayers. The idea is to pray 4 specific things, and in a particular order.

A = Adoration: Take time to recognize who God is.
C = Confession: Take time to recognize who you are.
T = Thanks: Take time to appreciate all that God has done for you.
S = Supplication: Take time to ask God for blessing.

So that's what I did. But the problem is this. After recognizing who God is, who I am, and all that He's already done for me, it seemed incredibly snotty to ask for anything at all.

And yet the Bible makes it pretty clear that we are to come to God with our requests. Sometimes I don't know how to do that.

I finished my prayer for my friend. But it was, to say the least, really quite hesitant.

3 comments:

Jimazing said...

Based on the timing of this post, I wondered if the friend might be me. In any case, I thought you would want to know that she wowed them (my prayer) and got the internship (her objective).

mjh said...

Yup. It was you.

Jimazing said...

Thanks for praying... glad it stirred you.

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of friends from facebook starting to read my blog. I'm glad of that. I look forward to comments, critiques, etc. But please do not reference me or any of my family and friends by name. Here's why.