- I never accept as a friend anyone that I don't know.
- I divide up the people that I do accept as friends into two groups: acquaintences and everyone else
- I make every privacy setting to be "Friends Only" and I exclude acquaintances (howto) from certain elements, most importantly pictures of my children.
- I never post anything to facebook, that I would not want those in my inner circle to know.
Update: If you're one of my facebook friends, and I've placed you in (what I used to call) the outer circle, please don't take offense. My goal is not to say anything at all about you, but rather to recognize that you and I are more of acquaintances than friends. I seriously doubt that anyone who's in (what I used to call) my outer circle would think that we are more than just acquaintances.
Hmmm... maybe I should relabel that group. Instead of calling them the outer circle, I should call them acquaintences. Think I will.
Update 2: Here are the places in FB where there are security settings that I think are important:
- Settings -> Privacy Settings
- Profile -> Settings -> applications settings page (Edit each application and change how it can be viewed)