Saturday, January 22, 2005

Internet Regulation

Econlog reflects on the resignation of Michael Powell from the FCC. One of the commenters said the following:
The Internet requires an International Cop to prosecute Crime--specifically Fraudulent practice. The FCC will retain power only so long as it integrates into a World Police net.
Wow, I hope he's wrong. But he might be right. I only hope because I see the Internet as a fantastic experiment. In this experiment, we're gathering data to see whether or not a medium that has no enforceable borders can effectively exist. This is compared with the real world, in which we do have borders and centralized planning and laws enforced within those borders. Can some semblance of order appear from the anarchy that is the Internet? If not, then it turns out that the central planning and law making model really we have in the real world is probably best. But if the Internet can develop without the need for government, and central planning and laws, then maybe that indicates that how we're doing it in the real world is less efficient than it could be.

Of course, the internet can't definitively answer this question. It can only add a single piece of data that runs counter to someone's argument. I hope that it's not my argument that loses this valuable data point.

1 comment:

Bass Jumper said...

The Internet as we know it now started from a centralized planning organization. It wasn't until later that it was opened up allowing those who weren't part (or contracted) to that organization to participate.

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of friends from facebook starting to read my blog. I'm glad of that. I look forward to comments, critiques, etc. But please do not reference me or any of my family and friends by name. Here's why.