Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The right table

Here's the tables that I should have put in the last post.  I think they do a better job of making my point.

The point that Jon was making:

Couple
Intention
Preventing
Consequences
Tom & Sue
Trying
No Prevention
Baby
Joe & Amy
Not Trying
No Prevention
Baby
Bill & Jane
Trying Not To
No Prevention
Baby

Jon's point is that the difference in the intention column doesn't have any impact on the consequence.  Thus all three of the things in the Intention column are equivalent.   While differences in the Preventing column will have statistically significant difference in the consequence column.  Jon's real point: don't talk about trying or not trying or trying not to if you're not actively doing anything about it.

The point that I was making is this:

Couple
Intention
Preventing
Consequences
Tom & Sue
Trying
No Prevention
Baby
Definitely Happy
Joe & Amy
Not Trying
No Prevention
Baby
Could be happy or sad
Bill & Jane
Trying Not To
No Prevention
Baby
Definitely Sad

My point is that there is a difference in the consequences.  The lines are not the same.  Hence, trying, not trying, and trying not to are different, even if all those people are not actively exercising prevention. 

Where I can agree with Jon is that the practical impact of "intention" on consequences is much less than the impact of active prevention on the consequences.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  This point should absolutely be emphasized to anyone who is sexually active and does not want, or is incapable of caring for a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of friends from facebook starting to read my blog. I'm glad of that. I look forward to comments, critiques, etc. But please do not reference me or any of my family and friends by name. Here's why.