Sunday, December 05, 2004

I'm a publisher?

According to The Dallas News, if I write a blog entry, I'm a publisher, subject to libel. I guess this makes some degree of sense since this really isn't a private site. Anyone can read it if they want to. And I can't say something blatantly false which might impugn someone else's reputation. But this still strikes me as ... well wrong.

The things I write here, while published, are my opinions. And sure they could be wrong. I'm not saying that I'm perfect. But if they are wrong, and they negatively impact someone else's reputation, does that mean I'm not allowed to express that opinion?

I'm not sure what I think of this because on the one hand folks should be accountable for what they say. But on the other hand, sometimes you say things just to get feedback from someone else in order to improve your thoughts on the matter.

Or perhaps I don't fully understand what constitutes "libel".

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of friends from facebook starting to read my blog. I'm glad of that. I look forward to comments, critiques, etc. But please do not reference me or any of my family and friends by name. Here's why.